background

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Jaw Dropping

I cannot even begin to describe what I am about to tell you! It's so crazy! If I was telling you this in person, I bet your jaw would drop like mine did.  I cannot believe this woman did what she did!

So, I was helping a lady customer pick out a chain for herself.  She said she wanted a yellow gold, box chain.  I showed her the only two that I have in stock.  They were too thin.  I showed her the white gold, box chain.  It was too thick.  She then asked me, "Are these the only two you have in yellow gold?"  She asked this after me saying "these are the only two yellow gold box chains that I have." I hate when people ask me stupid questions after I have just explained to them the answer beforehand.  Well, she didn't think they were thick enough for the pendant she wanted to put on it.  So then she wanted to look at the rope chains.  She picked one out, so I took it out of the showcase to show to her.  It was (notice the emphasis there) a 10 karat yellow gold rope chain.  It was a really nice looking chain.  It was $88.  I explained to her that rope chains are actually supposed to be just as durable as box chains because of the way they are made.

Now just to point out that gold in any shape or form is a soft medal.  If the chain is 10 karats, that means there is 10 parts gold and 14 parts other metals to make the chain (or any piece of jewelry for that matter) hold together, to equal 24 karats.  I don't care what country you come from, or what jewelry store you shop at, you cannot make anything out of pure, and only 24 karat gold.  It's just not possible!  It's way too soft and would literally fall apart in your hands.  If something says 24 karat gold, then it is either plated with 24 karat gold, or has other metals mixed in with the 24 karat gold.

Ok, back to my story.  This is where my jaw hit the floor.  Just as I finished telling her that rope chains are just as durable as box chains, this woman...and I still can't believe she did this....This woman grasped the chain with both hands (like if you were to make 2 fists and put them next to each other where the thumbs and index fingers meet) and pulls on it and breaks it and says "Nope, they're not!" 

SHE BROKE THE CHAIN RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!!!!!!!!!!

And then she had the nerve to say, "Oh I'm sorry. I didn't actually mean to break it."  Well what did you expect when you pull so hard on a necklace!?  I didn't know what to say.  My jaw fell down and there were no words.  If she asked to see another chain I would have said, "Ok, but I'm gonna have to ask that you not break this one!"  Too bad we don't have a You Break It, You Buy It policy.  I mean, who comes into a store and purposefully pulls on something like she did, with force I might add, to see if it will break!?  I didn't say that it wouldn't break, but with the ropes and box chains there a chance that they can take some abuse if they are pulled.  But she pulled so hard like it was a tug-o-war contest.  Who does that??

So now I have to claim out an $88 piece of jewelry because a customer broke it, and I lost a potential sale.  I mean, since I am claiming it out, my warehouse will send me a replacement, but still!  This whole thing could have been avoided if I had just called in sick. LOL. Just kidding.

Jennifer Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment