background

Monday, September 6, 2010

Mark Twain House Peach

So we all know that Mark Twain is famous for his novels such as The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, but did you know that his real name is actually Samuel Clemens?  I stumbled across a website called Welcome to the Mark Twain House and Museum to look up some info on him, and in his biography it mentions Sam Clemens.  And I was thinking, who the heck is Sam Clemens?  It's Mark Twain.

Now that that is clarified, I would like to tell you about my weekend.  It started last week when my good friend Susie asked if anyone wanted to help her paint the front room in her house.  I, for some odd reason volunteered.  She sent me a text saying to be at her house around 11a.m.  So I sent her a text back saying Ok.  What seemed like 10 minutes had passed by when I received another text saying, and this is word for word, "Wear old clothes and a lot of deodorant."  The reason I say it seemed like 10 minutes is because that is how long it took her to write that second text.  She just got a texting plan, but can't quite grasped the concept of quick texts.  I love her anyways despite this flaw!  Anyhow...  I went over there Friday morning around 11 and she quickly put me to work;  taping off doorways with that lovely blue tape was really hard.  I worked up a sweat taping more than I did painting, and to be fair she did warn me to wear a lot of deodorant (and I did!).  The walls had already been sanded and Spackled in some spots so it was ready for a fresh coat of paint.  I must have been taping for an hour and a half when we took a break.  We are girls after all.  Susie bought me lunch at Subway but before we could go to Subway, she had to run some errands; the post office and Rite Aid and the bank.  Our lunch break had turned into an errand run.  While I was waiting for her in the van, i tried to turn on the radio to listen to some music.  I couldn't get it to work.  I pushed every button but nothing seemed to turn it on.  So I sat there in the parking lot of the post office, waiting.  Good thing it wasn't hot out and she did crack the windows.  When she got back into the van, she thanked me for waiting.  I replied, "Where was a I gonna go?"  Apparently, her son Noah does not like running errands with his mom and is always complaining.

We get back to her house and had our lunch then got right back to work.  Somehow, I got stuck with doing most of the painting with the roller while Susie used a sliding tool along the ceiling so I didn't have to tape off the ceiling.  And because I'm such a good steward in the Lord, I did the painting without complaining (Philippians 2:14).  By 3:30 we got a huge chunk of the walls and hallway painted with a first coat, including a small spot on the ceiling where I accidentally brushed it with the roller. Oops!

As if I didn't have enough fun with her and her two boys, I tagged along to their karate class.  Noah is really good and I think karate will help Caleb with strengthening his legs.  I have to admit though, I was paying more attention to one of the older, taller, and very good-looking black belts.  *Blush blush blush*  Anyways, it's a really cool class.  It's at a church in Warren and they pray, read Bible scriptures, and share a lesson with the students.  I told Caleb I wanted to come see him and Noah get there new belts.

After the karate class it was time for Camp Rock 2: The Final Jam.  This was not my first choice in movies but the kids liked it.  It was very Disney predictable.  At one point the two main characters, Demi Lavato and Joe Jonas' characters (yes, I know there names now) got into a fight.  I looked at Susie and said, "I know what happens.  They're gonna sing a song, and kiss and make up and hold hands."  Noah quickly replied with such seriousness, "You've seen this already!?"  It was a brand new movie and first time premiere, so no I haven't seen it.  I haven't even seen Camp Rock the first movie.  We were laughing so hard!

Now it's 10pm and Susie was thinking she wanted to paint some more but some of church friends came over to see the room, so we ended up talking for a while instead.  She kept saying I should just spend the night because she was going to paint in the morning and wanted my help.  Her husband, Scott went to bed because he leaving for Cedar Point in the morning.  He came back out around midnight and turned on the TV.  We made cookies and watched Who's Line Is It Anyway? and then went to bed, finally!

I was awakened by their dog, Cino (as is cappuccino) when he jumped on my stomach.  It was about 9 in the morning.  Apparently the boys were waiting for me to wake up so they could watch TV and play video games.  We had breakfast and started painting again.  I was really tired so I took small breaks.  When I went to grab some cereal and watch TV with Caleb, guess what he was watching?  That's right!  Camp Rock 2: The Final Jam again!!  I now have one of the songs in my head; "I'm giving you the fire..."

We finally called it quits on the painting around 12:30 and as if I haven't spent enough time with Susie's family, she invited me to her brother-in-law's birthday party BBQ.  I looked at her and said, "Susie, I"m running out of clothes and I didn't bring any deodorant!"  So I took a shower to freshen up and borrowed her stick of deodorant.  It sounds really gross, but I was not going to go anywhere without smelling nice.  We're friends. It's OK.  She also let me borrow a sweat shirt because it was cold outside.

The party was nice and the food was good.  Some friends from church were there too.

So, that was my weekend with Susie; painting, Disney Channel, cookies, and a BBQ.

By the way, the color of the paint is called Mark Twain House Peach.

Thanks for reading!

Jennifer Nicole

1 comment: