background

Thursday, October 28, 2010

The Horror Of It All

Remember when the lawyer gets eaten by the T-Rex on the toilet, after Jeff Goldblum says, "When you gotta go, you gotta go?" Or when "Bruce" eats the captain of the boat? Or when Johnny Depp gets sucked into the bed and then a geyser of blood explodes out of the bed? Or when Michael Myers (not to be confused with Mike Myers, the voice of Shrek) stalks Jamie Lee Curtis?  Or when Kirk is hit in the head by Leatherface and although it seems he is killed, his body shakes on the ground?  Or when you found out at the end of the movie that it wasn't Jason killing everyone, it was in fact his mother?  Or when Drew Barrymore is credited as one of the stars of Scream when really she is killed within the first ten minutes of the film?  Or when you hear "One, two, Freddy's coming for you," the hairs on the back of your neck stick up?

Well I would like to wipe those images from my brain as they haunt me every Halloween. I do not like horror movies.  They creep me out (as every horror movie director jumps for joy because that is the purpose of horror movies).  I can remember when I was maybe 13 or 14, I stayed the night at a friend's house.  We ended up watching Scream, during the day I might add, in her basement.  I have to admit that Scream is really not all that scary now that I look back.  It's actually comical.  But, at the time it totally freaked me out.  Not only did we watch the movie in her basement, my friend wanted to sleep in basement; the dark, cold, can't see if someone wearing that mask is there, basement.  I got scared.  I left my friend, went all the way upstairs to the second floor, and slept in her bed.  I was not going to sleep in a dark basement.  I still can't watch Scream today because the blood is quite gross and the fact that people do go around killing people kind of freaks me out.  If I watch the movie on TV, then I can just change the channel when I know someone is going to die.  That's usually what I do when I watch Jaws too.

I think that is why some of these horror movies are scary; they could actually happen.  Now I know dinosaurs aren't roaming the earth eating people off of toilets, and I know that Freddy isn't in my dreams wanting to kill me.  However, sharks have been known to eat people which is why I will never set foot in any ocean.  What's funny though is I love Shark Week on the discovery channel.  The documentary Planet Earth caught some really good footage of some sharks off of seal island.  Sharks are magnificent creatures, but I do not want to go near them.

I also know that people don't come back from the dead after drowning in a lake, but people do kill just for the thrill of it.  I went to Summer camp one year and a girl was almost kidnapped.  The rest of the week, we had to walk in groups of three or more.  It's pretty scary what people will do especially when kids are around.  My dad doesn't believe me, but in the original 1980 slasher Friday the 13th, Jason is not the killer.  It's his mother!  If you don't believe me, then watch the movie yourself.  Jason does not become the killer until Friday the 13th Part 2.  When Alice, in the first movie, is the lone survivor she hears a car rolling up and it's Mrs. Voorhees, Jason's mom, but she doesn't reveal it until she suddenly attacks Alice.  But when the boy Jason grabs Alice under the water at the end of the movie, I jump every time.

I am not always afraid of horror movies.  I remember sleeping over at my friend Ashley's house and our friend Jessica was there too.  We decided to watch House on Haunted Hill.  Sounds creepy, right?  Well it was, but I was too tired to notice.  There was blood, and killing, and some creepy dark shadow following people.  Well, the movie ended and we decided to keep the light on.  Jessica slept on the couch, while Ashley and I slept on the floor.  I kid you not, all of a sudden the lamp flickered and then turned off.  I heard a soft shriek from the couch and the voices of my friends saying, "No, you turn it back on."  I got up from the floor, walked over to the lamp, touched it lightly and then it came back on.  I then looked over to find my friend Jessica now on the floor with Ashley.  I remember saying, "You guys are a bunch of wussies."  Then I went back to bed.  That is the only time I wasn't scared of a horror movie.

I could talk forever about horror movies, so I am going to have to same some for other blogs.  Be sure to look for my list of the top 10 scariest movies.

Jennifer Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment