background

Monday, October 18, 2010

Spiders, Bees and Plain Donuts.



OK, just because I do not like spiders and bees does not make me a pessimistic.  I do not like when bees fly around my head and land on my food. It is gross and they have stingers that sting you.  Now, I haven't actually been stung by a bee in a very long time (which is long ago according to my friend Andrew who called me a dinosaur on a count that I am old. hardy har har.) but that doesn't mean I want them all over me.  I also do not like spiders. They are hairy, and creepy and crawly.


I went to Miller's Big Red Apple Orchard Greenhouses and Cider Mill.  That is a very long name for a cider mill now that I read it. Wow. *Long pause as I think how the name could be shortened*

We carpooled to 32 Mile and Mound to a cute little town, Romeo, MI.  Well, Melissa and I thought it was cute. I'd live there.  It just dawned on me that we drove thirty minutes to pick apples when there is a Wal-Mart across the street from our church. Hmm....I guess it was the fun and experience we were looking for.  So we're at the cider mill, a family oriented cider mill, and the 9 of us twenty-somethings picked apples.  We got in line to pay for our $5 1/4lb bag, and the lady says, "You're gonna need a picker."  I replied, "I am the picker. I'll pick my own apples."  She says, "No, the apples are at the top of the trees, you're gonna need a picker. You won't be able to reach them."  I pointed to the tall guys in our group and said they would help.  She rudely replies with, "NO, you're gonna be a picker."  And she pulls out this long stick with a catching net at the end.  I was like...oooohhh. She could have just shown that to me in the first place.  We had to put down a $10 deposit, which we got back when we returned the picker.  Can I just say that even Connie, who is about 5 feet tall, picked her own apples without the picker.  It was a little ridiculous.

We got on the tracker, and rode to the apple trees.  I suppose since Halloween is just around the corner, the  farm had all these creepy (but i had to take a picture) things.
 
There was a "Death Row" stage

a random house that was locked and had a beat up electric organ on the porch
A fire truck and van that crashed I suppose.

A scene that looked like it came out of Harry Potter, but not really :)
Mike and Connie climbed a stack of branches.

Let's just say it was a fun Sunday afternoon.  We picked our apples.  We drank cider and ate donuts.  And to the request of my sister-in-law, here is the story behind the plain donut.  We waited in line inside the main barn where they serve all the food for donuts and cider, that were way over priced might I add, and when we walked outside this delicious aroma of different smells filled my nose and that was hard to do because I have a cold and I had to breathe through my mouth all day.  I don't recommend breathing through your mouth because then your mouth gets dry which makes you want more cider and then you have to pee the rest of the night.  Anyway, we found a table and just dove into conversations and laughs and all around good times!  I did buy my own donut, but my brother Mike bought a dozen.  Before I finished my donut, we were talking about spiders and that stupid bee was flying around me and landing on the jug of cider.  I stated, "I hate bees," and "I hate spiders," somewhere in between all the talking.  At this time I had finished my donut, which was cinnamon.  I asked Mike if I could have one of his.  He pulled out a plain donut to which I replied, "No, I want a cinnamon."  Andrew then said I was a pessimistic.  First I hate bees and spiders, and now plain donut.  For the record, I do not hate plain donuts.  I just wanted a cinnamon.

And you would think the farm could spell Raspberries correctly, but no.



Jennifer Nicole

1 comment:

  1. LOL- you're not pessimistic.... & that was a good, funny post :)

    ReplyDelete